- 1st reason – Do you know your process?
- 2nd reason – Too manual process!
- 3rd reason – Decentralize IT
- 4th reason – IT Silos
- 5th reason – Analysis Paralysis
- 6th reason – Building single purpose machine
- 7th reason – What about RCA?
- 8th reason – Vendor dependency
This post might be a little bit controversial 🙂
Outsourcing has a lot of advantages, but there is one very clear disadvantage, at least from my point of view. When you outsource part of your process to any company, you actually set up a fixed SLA for the outsources functionality. Once you set up SLA with external company your entire IT process is impact and set by the SLA you set up for the outsourced functionality. While agreeing on SLA, it doesn’t matter what your team can do to expedite the functions that they own in the process, the agreed SLA will set up the overall SLA of the process and there nothing that you can do about it.
So, If you are running agile IT shop that needs to respond to unplanned requirements and SLAs. Think twice before you decide to outsource part of your IT processes. This decision might affect your ability to execute and it will cost you a lot of money to change it in the future.